Arc Melt Furnace ABJ-900
- Operating temperature over 3500°C (6332 F).
- Large Bell Jar, top loading configuration.
- 100% 304L grade stainless steel vacuum chamber.
- Copper stinger with tungsten electrode.
- Custom copper hearth plate 9.0” diameter (230 mm).
- Sight window with 4″ diameter (104 mm) viewport and separate port with halogen light.
- Power Supply: 500 Amp @ 80% Duty Cycle, 22 kVA.
- Water-cooled with safety interlock.
- Inert gas system with relief valve.
- Vacuum system, rough vacuum or high vacuum.
Access to the furnace for loading and unloading is done by lifting the hinged chamber backwards, giving complete access to the loading area, hearth plate and the chamber interior. The chamber is constructed of 304L grade stainless steel and electro-polished for good vacuum integrity and appearance. The chamber is double-walled for water cooling to maintain a cool chamber temperature during operation. The chamber is vacuum rated to 10-6 Torr (mbar).
An illumination port with halogen light is provided on the side, the vacuum port for a pumping system is located on the bottom of the chamber, and a 4″ viewport with swinging eye shield is supplied for operator viewing during operation. Clamps seal the chamber to the base and isolate the chamber atmosphere.
The copper water-cooled hearth plate has cavities to hold melt material. Custom cavity shapes are available at no charge when specified at the time of order.
The copper water-cooled stinger with replaceable tungsten electrode provides the tip for the melting arc. A ball joint with gas pressurized bellows allows the stinger to move easily around the chamber and stay in position once released.
Inert gas system with indicating flow control, pressure gauge, and relief valve
Pumping system with roughing pump, vacuum gauge and manual valve
A 2 CFM (56 LPM) vacuum pump is offered standard with a vacuum valve and a vacuum compound gauge, which allows the chamber to be evacuated to the 10-2 Torr (mbar) range. The vacuum system allows the removal of air/oxygen followed by an inert gas back-fill. This prevents oxidation of the material during heat up and melting. A diffusion or turbo pumping system is available as an option for ultra clean environments.
A manual gas valve is supplied to quickly back-fill the chamber to a slightly positive pressure after evacuation and to keep a blanket gas flowing while arc melting. A 2 PSI relief valve will relieve excess gas while maintaining a positive pressure in the chamber. This furnace system was designed to operate in argon, nitrogen, or non-flammable forming gas. The standard positive pressure for operation is .14 kg/cm sq (2 PSIG). A 30/30 compound gauge (30 PSIG x 30 in. Hg) is located on the chamber to observe chamber pressure.
A water inlet and outlet manifold distributes water to the various furnace components to keep them cool during operation. A water flow switch is provided to interrupt power in case water flow is interrupted.
Available Options for Arc Melt Furnace ABJ-900:
- Crystal Puller – allows the formation of single crystals using the Czochralski method
- Custom Melt Cavities – for custom melt shapes
- High Vacuum kit, Turbo or Diffusion pump – for ultra pure environments
- Load Lock– allows additional material to be loaded without breaking chamber atmosphere
- Splat Rod – allows quick dispersion of melt to provide instant cooling and solidification
- Oxygen Monitor – Monitors gas supply or chamber gas for O2 content
- Gas Purifier – Removes impurities in process gas below to 10-6 ppm
- Recirculating Water Chiller – Provides cooling water in a closed loop system
- Suction Casting – Allows melted material to be formed into a cast by means of vacuum suctioning
- Arc casting
- Powder melting
- Melting point determination
- Metallic buttons
- Creating alloys
- Crucible welding
- Material densification
- High purity melts
- Vacuum casting