Small Heat Treat Furnace
- Maximum 2200 °C (4000 °F)
- 4″ x 6 ” x 8″ (101 mm x 152 mm x 203 mm) usable hot zone
- Excellent temperature uniformity
- Hydrogen, inert gas or vacuum Atmosphere
- Rough vacuum system, optional diffusion or turbo pumping system
- Tungsten mesh heating elements for long life
- Hydrogen wetting system with dewpoint control option
Chamber and Hot Zone
The chamber is loaded from the front and contains a hot zone measuring 6″ W x 8″ H x 10″ D and a +/- 10°C temperature gradient. The heating element is comprised of 4 tungsten mesh panels, heating 4 sides of the load, and feature excellent uniformity and longevity. The hot zone shields are mounted in a chamber frame, allowing for the thermal growth of the zone during heat cycling.
The furnace chamber is manufactured from double-walled stainless steel welded together and polished for a clean finish and good vacuum integrity. Ports are incorporated for auxiliary equipment and sensors.
The furnace load is placed on the load support rails. The load supports are engineered to feature a high load capacity and a low thermal conductivity loss to the chamber walls.
Power Supply & Controls
An SCR-controlled transformer powers the hot zone and includes all necessary circuit breakers, contactors, and fuses to meet applicable NFPA codes. In combination with the temperature controller, the power supply modulates power to the hot zone through use of a step-down transformer matched with the heating element resistance. Volt and amp meters display power usage, and a set of water-cooled power cables carry power from the transformer to the hot zone of the furnace.
Two control options are available, a control panel with classic switches, lights, temperature controller and vacuum instrument, or a Computer Interface package with HMI software and Industrial touch-panel PC. Both offer full control of the furnace and are easy to operate. The computer package adds data acquisition, alarms, recipe storage, security and networking.
A type “C” sheathed thermocouple measures the furnace temperature up to 2000°C. When operating the furnace to temperatures above 2000°C, a two-color pyrometer is used and an automatic TC remover will retract the TC from the hot zone to protect it from overheating. A safety over-temperature controller shuts off power to the hot zone in the event the hot zone temperature exceeds the maximum design temperature.
- The basic rough vacuum system consists of a Rotary Vane Mechanical Pump, an electro-pneumatic vacuum valve, and a vacuum gauge. This vacuum system will allow for operation in a vacuum environment (10-2 to 10-3 Torr range).
- A 4″ or 6″ diffusion pumping system can be provided as well to achieve vacuum levels down to 10-6 Torr. Our diffusion pumping systems include a refrigerated cold trap to prevent oil backstreaming and to obtain a lower ultimate vacuum.
- A turbo pumping system or cryo pumping system can be provided with a “dry” roughing pump to provide an oil-free vacuum system for ultra clean environments and to obtain a vacuum level of 10-7 to 10-8 Torr range.
An inert or flammable gas system provides an inert or reducing environment for the work samples during the heat testing.
The basic inert gas system (Argon) includes a solenoid-operated inlet valve, a compound gauge (30 P.S.I.G. x 30 in. Hg.), a gas flow meter, and a 2 P.S.I.G. outlet relief valve to maintain a positive pressure.
For operation in hydrogen, additional solenoids and sensors provide safe and reliable operation. A burn-off kit ignites and monitors any flammable gas exiting the furnace. A safety blow-off port relieves any excessive chamber pressure.
Our Wet Hydrogen Kit adds a hydrogen dewpoint generator system, producing wet hydrogen with a controlled and programmable dewpoint to meet process requirements.
Water cooling system
The furnace water cooling manifold consists of multiple circuits to adequately cool all the furnace parts and includes a strainer, pressure regulator, pressure gauge, water inlet and outlet manifold, and a water flow switch. The water flow switch has a visual water flow indicator and a flow interlock to protect the furnace in the event of a water flow failure. This switch turns off power to the hot zone contactor if water flow is below recommended minimum for a certain amount of time. Each part of the furnace is supplied with a separate cooling circuit that can be regulated by independent manual ball valves.
|Power:||kVA dependant on maximum temperature, 380-480-575 V/3/50-60 Hz|
|Water:||required flow dependent on kVA rating, 70 °F (20°C) @ 50 P.S.I.G. (3.4 bar)|
|Process Gas:||Argon or Nitrogen, Hydrogen 40 L.P.M. @ 50 P.S.I.G. (3.4 bar)|
|Compressed Air:||60 – 90 P.S.I.G. (4.1 – 6.2 bar) filtered.|
Available Options for our small heat treat furnace:
- Retort– isolates the hot zone from corrosive by-products and increases thermal uniformity
- Larger hot zones – we have a variety of front loading hot zone sizes
- High vacuum diffusion pumping system – for ultra pure environments
- High vacuum turbo pumping system – for ultra pure environments
- HMI system – customized control system with PC user-friendly interface for fully automated runs and data acquisition
- Pyrometer and retractable TC – used for optical temperature measurement
- Partial pressure control – allows chamber pressure to be controlled to programmable setpoint
- Flammable gas system – add capability to heat parts in a reducing environment such as Hydrogen (limits max temperature)
- Gas wetting system – if your process requires reducing environments
- Chiller– for closed-loop cooling
- O2 monitor – for measuring oxygen content of supply gas or chamber environment
- Gas purifier – for removal of impurities from the gas supply
- CE certification – for export to International countries requiring CE
- UPS – to keep essential components operational during power outages
- RGA – to measure and analyze residual gases inside the chamber
- Ceramic firing
- Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD)
- Chemical Vapor Injection (CVI)
- Diffusion bonding
- Heat treating
- Metallic alloying
- Metal Injection Molding (MIM)
Browse our Product catalog